Disclaimer: I received an eARC copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
I’ve had this post in drafts for so long that it’s embarrassing, especially since I absolutely loved this book! But… better late than never, right?
Published March 30, 2019 by Crooked Lane Books
Data from Goodreads
Everyone says Lauren Tranter is exhausted, that she needs rest. And they’re right; with newborn twins, Morgan and Riley, she’s never been more tired in her life. But she knows what she saw: that night, in her hospital room, a woman tried to take her babies and replace them with her own…creatures. Yet when the police arrived, they saw no one. Everyone, from her doctor to her husband, thinks she’s imagining things.
A month passes. And one bright summer morning, the babies disappear from Lauren’s side in a park. But when they’re found, something is different about them. The infants look like Morgan and Riley―to everyone else. But to Lauren, something is off. As everyone around her celebrates their return, Lauren begins to scream, These are not my babies.
Determined to bring her true infant sons home, Lauren will risk the unthinkable. But if she’s wrong about what she saw…she’ll be making the biggest mistake of her life.
Compulsive, creepy, and inspired by some our darkest fairy tales, Little Darlings will have you checking―and rechecking―your own little ones. Just to be sure. Just to be safe.
My Review: Brilliantly Creepy
I think labeling this as a mystery/thriller is a misnomer because it isn’t what you would expect from that genre. However, this is a really unique story and I could not put it down!
The Pros: What Worked For Me
- The focus on postpartum depression was done so well. I may not be a mother but I have seen women experiencing postpartum depression, and the way the author spoke on this topic was captured so well! I think it is important for everyone to understand the emotional turmoil that a woman can face after giving birth – so kudos to the author for bringing it to the forefront!
- The atmospheric writing sold this book for me! It is lyrical and haunting and had me creeped out!
- I love the incorporation of magical realism in this story. I don’t know much about Welsh folklore but it was so interesting!
- Throughout the book, the author plays mind games with the reader: are the babies changelings or is this a product of the mother’s mental state? It’s an interesting question and I’m still wondering now!
The Cons: What I Didn’t Like
- I didn’t care for the police procedural elements of the story. It just wasn’t done well and detracted from the more interesting parts of the story.
Overall, I really enjoyed this novel. It was a unique take on motherhood and touched on some topics that I felt were very important. Also, changelings are so cool and creepy!! If you haven’t checked this book out, do yourself a favour and grab it now!!