A fantasy novel taking place in modern New York City with a revenge story like no other.
Disclaimer: This blog contains affiliate links. I make a small commission when you decide to buy books via the Amazon or Book Depository purchase links available in the book review's post.
Lately, I’ve been looking for standalone fantasy stories. There’s just this satisfaction that comes from reading just one book and having the story all wrapped up. Don’t get me wrong, I love series, too. But I hate waiting for the next book to come out and sometimes I don’t get the time to read them. As I was searching for my next read, I saw the cover and description for this novel and it just grabbed my attention right away. I read this book in audiobook format so I will be making some comments on my experience listening to it being narrated. Here is my review:
An Unkindness of Magicians
Published August 26, 2017 by Saga Press
Data from Goodreads
Summary (Goodreads): In New York City, magic controls everything. But the power of magic is fading. No one knows what is happening, except for Sydney—a new, rare magician with incredible power that has been unmatched in decades, and she may be the only person who is able to stop the darkness that is weakening the magic. But Sydney doesn’t want to help the system, she wants to destroy it.
This was everything I wanted and I am SO GLAD I decided to read it on a whim!
The Pros: What worked for me
- This novel read like a crossover between Gossip Girl and Blue Bloods, a vampire novel by Melissa de la Cruz. I absolutely loved this mix of the two, with all of the intrigue and drama being just as exciting as the actual magical fighting.
- I loved how dark and gritty this novel was, full of revenge plotting and shady characters whose motives you just couldn’t trust. It kept me on my toes the entire time!
- The writing style and pacing was absolutely fantastic, with very well-developed characters. I felt like I could really see every scene happening before my eyes!
The Cons: What I didn’t like
- I wish there had been a tiny bit more detail into how the spells actually worked. I’m not saying I want it to be like Harry Potter, but a general understanding of the magic in this novel would have been nice.
- There was quite an extensive cast of characters, which made it difficult to follow the story at times. It didn’t help that I was listening to the story; even though the narrator changed her voice to suit the different characters, it was easy to get them confused in the beginning, especially with the more minor ones. However, once I got it sorted, I was able to fully enjoy the story.
If you couldn’t already tell, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It had grit, it had dark aspects to it, and featured distinct and strong female characters! I will definitely be reading more by this author. This book gets 4/5 stars from me!
Happy reading ~